Sunday, December 28, 2008

Next time, remember the sunflower seed!

 
Snow at the Stony Swamp trail

One of the things I like about getting outside to photograph, is that you never know what you are going to experience.   Last week I decided to go out after a big snowstorm to photograph the woods on a local nature trail.  I got out my snowshoes and started walking along the trail.  When I stopped to photograph some shadows across the snow, I realized that I had some friends following me -- a flock of chickadees looking for some easy food.  When I set up my tripod, they started buzzing me, landing on my hat, gloves, and even my camera and lens.  I wish I could have taken a video of the action -- I don't think I've ever had such a concentrated amount of activity by chickadees.  It was a huge amount of fun.

Next time, I'll have to remember to bring some sunflower seeds, so I can at least repay this flock for their attention.

. . . Rob Williams
http://www.robwilliams.ca