Sunday, December 6, 2009

More on November and December photography

Since my last posting, I have been challenging myself to get outside and do some more photography in November, and now in December.  We have not yet had a significant snowfall, so the landscape is still dull, filled with greys and browns.  Not only that, but sunny days have been rare these days.

Roadside Memorial

Despite that, there are some subjects that can be photographed with these light and landscape conditions.  I have found three themes that seem to offer some photographic opportunities: architecture, cityscapes, and a series of photographs of roadside memorials that I have been working on for a while now.

Detail of the Totem Pole in the Byward Market, Ottawa

It's not a coincidence that all of these subject areas can benefit from even light, or a dead-looking landscape.  I will have some further comments on cityscapes and roadside memorials in the near future.

Patio along Elgin Street, Ottawa

. . . Rob Williams
http://www.robwilliams.ca