Sunday, October 24, 2010

How to remove a stuck filter

Earlier this year, I wanted to remove the polariod filter from my 70-200mm lens, but it was badly stuck.  Filters are hard to grip, and doubly so for polarizing filters with the rotating ring.  I tried everything I could think of, including putting a rubber band around the filter for better grip, but I could not get it off.

I tried searching the web for a solution but I didn't find any good suggestions for a polarizer other than a filter wrench, and I couldn't find them (they're available at B&H, but I didn't want to wait for the shipping).  Eventually I went to a kitchen store to see if I could find a jar lid opener that would be kind to the filter.  Most were metal, but I found one that was made from soft rubber, called "EasiTwist Jar Opener":


I liked this one because it had a wide opening at one end, and smaller openings closer to the end for different sizes of filters.  It turns out that the widest opening was perfect for a  77mm filter.  I tried it out, and it worked immediately and very easily:


Highly recommended.

. . . Rob Williams http://www.robertwilliamsphotography.ca